Thursday, May 2, 2013

Boy, it's a nice day... I'll play some video games

I genuinely do like nice weather. I like when the sun is out, and it's not too hot, and there's a gentle breeze flowing in my window. But, I don't have any money or a bike, so I'll just stay in and play some games that give me the sensation of going outside. So here are my Top 6 Games that make me want to go outside, but keep me inside because they are too fun to put down [Working title].

1. Flower



Flower is an absolutely gorgeous "stop and smell the roses"(HA!), take your time and relax kind of game. The graphics of Flower are simplistic yet beautifully vibrant. Every color compliments one another and creates a wonderful pallet of visually sunning canvases that you paint on. There is a certain charm to Flower and other games by That Game Company that only they can capture.

2. skate.



I love this game. I play it whenever I'm bored and don't really feel like playing anything in particular. It is great to just roll around(That's another one!) in and chill out. The sun is always shining in the world of skate. and it makes me feel somewhat social when I see another group of skaters tricking off of a spot and I join in and have a bit of fun myself. Sometimes I find an abandoned plaza and trick off of whatever is there for about an hour or two.

3. Red Dead Redemption



I don't really want to visit New Austin, it looks too hot, but thanks to Red Dead Redemption I can go there whenever I want and just watch the sunrise. Red Dead Redemption is one of my favorite games because of its story, characters, and graphics which are just so darn good looking. So good looking in fact that once when I was on my way to do something important, I noticed that the sun was rising. I stopped there in the middle of the road and watched as the sun rose and painted the sky with purples and golds. It was truly amazing. Then I realized that I was playing a video game, but a great one at that.

4. Wave Race 64



This was one of the first video games that I ever owned and I still play it even to this day, original cartridge and all. Nintendo builds their stuff to last. Wave Race 64 is great, not just for the nostalgia factor, but also because it's a great game. The controls are tight, the physics aren't exactly spot on to the real life, but they are fun to play around with. The bright color pallet is eye popping and makes everything just seem more happy. It's always a nice day at Wave Race 64

5. Super Mario 64



There is something about Nintendo 64 games and their bright color pallet that just makes me want to go outside and take in the sunlit earth, but I won't, because I'm playing video games. My favorite part about Super Mario 64 is it's aesthetic, and use of color. Especially the wooden textures that they use on some of the set pieces. The simplistic shapes and vibrant colors remind me of the 90s, but that's ok. A little bit of nostalgia never hurt anybody.

6. Shadow of the Colossus



This game is great for so many reasons. One of which is the big, glorious open world that the player can wander through and enjoy. There is so much to the big open area, from sprawling green fields, to a nearly endless desert, to the cliffs at the ocean, and even that completely pointless forest that I always get lost in. Every inch of that place is simply gorgeous. What makes this open world even more great is the mystery that is left behind by the ancient society and the ruins that the colossi inhabit. To make everything even better is the incredible soundtrack that goes along with the game that picks up whenever you fight a colossus. Whether it's the somber tones of the theme of the sea snake colossus, or the sweeping overtures from the bird colossus. Shadow of the Colossus has one of the greatest original soundtrack of all time. Believe that.

Well, 6 is a rather strange number to have a list of, but it's all I got. See you next time folks!

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoy your review. I, too, enjoy playing Flower and Wave Race. And, I have enjoyed watching you play all of the rest of these games. I agree that the Shadows of the Colossus soundtrack is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete