Tuesday, July 9, 2013

RE: Mobile Games

Today I went to Comcast to turn in my Internet equipment from them, and tell them that I was breaking up with them. I actually said that by the way. Anyhow, the place was more like the DMV than the last time that I visited. So, I took my number and sat down. Not expecting it to be this busy, I pulled out my phone and started to play one of the games on it to pass the time.

Infinity Blade II was the game. I recently downloaded on account of it being completely free the other day. Hooray for reasons!!! The game is good. Like, really good. I was having fun. Produced by Epic Games, creators of the Gears of War Franchise,l developed by Chair, creators of Shadow Complex for the XBLA, and running on the Unreal Engine, Infinity Blade II is a full-blown, all out, no holds bar, game. This is a great thing. Though, it may be just a rare gem in the rough of Angry Birds knock-offs. It is refreshing to see a game, that I actually kind of lost time in on my phone.

If I wasn't at the DMV, I mean Comcast, I would have played for longer... and with the sound on.

Infinity Blade II is a sword fighting game. Players go from one fight to the next, as opponents literally line up to face you. I didn't say that this game was deep. That being said, I was completely lost in the visuals of this game. I was really surprised and impressed by the gorgeous visuals in this game. Every screen in between fights is an impressive vista that you can just sit back and admire.

If there are more games like Infinity Blade out there, then I could really see the mobile phone industry taking up hardcore gaming. There are hardcore games that are already out there for the handheld market (DS and PS Vita), so why not the phone? It can obviously run a game with the Unreal Engine on it and make it look good, and the touch screens and gyrometers in the phones lend themselves to new and innovative control schemes....

Well, quite simply... Ain't nobody got time for that. "Hardcore" games, I hate that term, take time, and investment. At least for me, anyhow. The "hardcore" audience, as the industry likes to label us, play games on a regular basis. We analyze and criticize the games that we play. We invest ourselves into these worlds that these games create. We can't get invested in something like Angry Birds, or Cut the Rope, because there is nothing to get invested in. On the other hand we have games like Mass Effect, Halo, Jet Grind Radio, Street Fighter, Civilization, and the list goes on and on. I know that it's comparing apples to oranges, and each person is entitled to their own opinion, but I think that there could be a chance for a hardcore mobile market.

No comments:

Post a Comment