Monday, May 16, 2016

Hey! That's Me!

There is a lot of discussion revolving around the issue of representation in media these days. Some of it is kind of BS. Some studios seem to do it to hit a certain demographic, or maybe just to spice up their show or movie. On the other side of the conversation, people are actively apathetic about the whole issue and just miss the point entirely. That, "it really doesn't matter what age, race, gender, or sexuality the character is". Then again, this is probably coming from the perspective of people who have been represented by countless protagonists and main characters. IE white, straight, males. Now, being a white, straight, male, I'm okay with seeing these characters. On the other hand, I'd like to see some variety. Not just for my sake, but for the sake of the kinds of people that these characters would represent.

Representation in media is important, because it kind of sends the message of "if this character can do it, so can you", and that's a really cool thing. I don't see enough black characters in the video games that I play. When I do, they aren't very well written, and they don't serve much of a purpose to the story. That's another issue that I have, but I'll get to that later. The fact of the matter is, that everybody needs someone that they can look up to. There's a phrase that I hear all the time when I'm struggling with my depression, and that is "you're not alone", and I know that, I just wish that I could see more of it. If a character in a tv show, movie, or video game has a mental health disorder, that seems to be their only facet. Kind of like Eeyore, but less well rounded.

When I see a character that has something that does not adhere to the "standards of society", that fact seems to be their only character trait. For example: if a character is a lesbian, they will have a scene where they are making out with their lover. EDGY!!!!! and that character will serve no further purpose. As in, they will not help out the main character, move the story forward, will not be included in any pivotal scenes. They're just there. As if to check off a tick box on a sheet of paper that has a list of items to improve ratings. That isn't really fair. It isn't fair to the people who watch that show and are actually lesbians. I'm not a lesbian. In fact, I'm the antithesis of one, as mentioned earlier. However, I've met a few lesbians, and they're not bad people, and guess what? They do more than overtly make out with their girlfriends. How about that? It's kind of strange to me that the writers wouldn't flesh out a character like that. I see the same thing with characters who are gamers. The only aspect of their personality is that they play video games. They are ignorant to the world around them, and they don't care about anything but getting the high score. High scores aren't even a thing anymore. It's like when a TV show tries to make a computer hacking program, but the designers don't know anything about hacking computers.

Video games are kind of special, because they allow for character customization. I like Mass Effect for this reason. I like to play as the female Commander Shepard, because characters in the game will react differently to her because she's a woman. Who would believe that sexism still existed one hundred years into the future? I can also change the race and sexuality of the character. However, those only seem to be purely cosmetic choices as nothing really changes. The voice actress is clearly white, and nobody gets uncomfortable if my character is with an alien, or a character that is the same gender.

Saints Row IV on the other hand has great customization. I can make a character that is a large black woman with the voice of Nolan North. Why? I don't know. I just wanted to. The character is completely something of my own design, and nobody really cares. I can romance whomever I want, and I can always change the race, bodytype, voice, and gender of the character. It doesn't really matter who or what I am in that game. I still kick ass.

Then there are games that present me with characters that are out of my control. Games like Gone Home, or Life is Strange both have female protagonists that are going through some pivotal changes in their lives, and the characters feel well rounded and deep. These characters are cared about and respected by the writers because they want them to be memorable and likeable. Or dislikeable. These characters make decisions and act on their own, with their own motivations, and it makes the player feel for them. How about in The Wolf Among Us, with the character of Snow White? She does her best to keep things in order, but has some conflicts of interest because of the situation that befalls her. Yet she still tries her best, even if that means getting in the way of the player. These actions make the characters have a sense of autonomy, that they aren't just another NPC who repeats the same line of dialogue, or gives out quests. These are characters. Whether they are black, white, male or female, straight or gay, it is important that they matter.

We all want to be on the silver screen, but we know that probably isn't going to happen. That's why it's important that we see someone who is kind of like us up there, and we want to be cool. We want to be important. We want to help. Heck, we want to be the main character. Representation is important because it can kind of give us that chance. That we can see ourselves in those characters. It's important that writers of all kinds of media treat these characters with respect, because they are more than just that one facet. I really like video games, but I like movies too. I work a job, I have friends, I have good days, and I have bad days. So does everyone else in this world. I know that this argument has been made thousands of times before, by people who are way smarter than me, but I wanted to throw my two cents in. I may be the majority here, but I feel for the little guy. They deserve their time in the spotlight as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment