Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Death Loop

Scott Pell
Writer

So, the thing with video games is that they have save points. Obviously this is unrealistic, but have you ever been playing a game where you Amy have screwed yourself over with a bad save or something like that? There's just no possible way to go back, or resolve the situation because you're in this repeating death loop, or in an unwinable situation because you just don't have enough supplies? The only solution is to go back to the previous save and try to stock up for that which you got stuck in. It sucks having to retreat familiar ground, but don't you wish that you could just have that convention in real life?

Often times in life, we make mistakes. It happens. We are human, and nobody is perfect or has that level of foresight to ensure that nothing goes wrong, but things can, and often do, go wrong. It's kind of inevitable. I feel like I'm in one of those situations where I'm still fighting in an unwinable situation and I don't want to let it go and I continue to fight this impossible situation. It's fruitless, I know, but I continue to hold on. 

I've been fighting this for a long time, long beyond its passing, but it keeps me moving forward in a way. I know that there is no situation where I come out the victor in that scenario. But I still hold onto that save file. 

Sometimes I keep those old saves, and just create a new file. That's kind of what we do, don't we? We hold on to those situations where we know we couldn't win. It doesn't make much sense, and it's taking up hard drive space. So why hold on? We never go back to it.

I think that I hold on to those situations, because I want to remember where I was, and I can see where I am now and be proud of myself for how far I've come. Because I've reloaded that last save and reevaluated where I am in life, and I've decided to move on and become stronger. Maybe I can revisit that spot in this crazy adventure in life, but there's no telling. There's no harm in being leveled up.

No comments:

Post a Comment