Friday, July 24, 2015

Achievement Unlocked

I hate Achievements, and trophies for that matter. They are pointless, and pop up at the most inconvenient times to break the player from the grasp of the tone that the game is trying to set. They don't prove anything, and they are a waste of time in video games. That being said, we as players should recognize the things that we have done in video games. Not only in video games, but in the things that we do every day.

I've struggled a long time with giving myself credit for things that I do. I don't know why I trivialize my accomplishments. Yet, I do my best to keep updating this blog at least once a week. I make videos regularly on my YouTube channel. I make a podcast now. I stream daily on Twitch. There is a lot that I do, that I can feel proud of. I think the reason for my trivialization of my accomplishments is, that if I can do it, anybody else can. Yet, there's no one else around who does what I do the way that I do it. It may not be considered "conventional", but I still manage to complete the task. I work hard at the things that I love. I always try to do my best. Sometimes, that may not be good enough for somebody else, but I don't do it for them. I do it for me.

I feel really good when I'm able to upload a video, or make a blog post. I enjoy playing video games on my stream, even if nobody is watching. I love what I do. I might not have 10,000 subscribers or followers, or what have you, I still enjoy doing what I do. I still strive to make sure that it is something that I am proud of, and that I am happy with how it turned out. Admittedly it is a little bit discouraging when my articles don't get any comments, or my videos don't get any views. Yet, I still press on, because I do it out of love and passion for the things that I do.

I know that there are a lot of people out there who just don't have a direction, and that is difficult. I know that every single person has a passion. I know that everyone out there has a unique voice and talent for one thing in particular. I know that everyone is a nerd for something, and that is what drives them.

When everyone out there seems to be doing the same thing that I'm doing, and getting noticed for it, it certainly is discouraging. I want to write about video games, I want to talk about video games, I want to do everything that I can to promote my passion and love for video games, but it seems that everyone else on the internet is doing the same thing. But! The one thing that they can't take away from me is my voice, my passion, and my love. I intensely care about what I do. I adore video games, and it means a lot to me to speak with my words about them. I am unique, and so are you.

We are all individuals. We are all players. Whether we play the tank, the healer, the rogue, the mage, the outsider, the leader, the support, the hero, or the villain. We are unique. We all have a voice, and we all have a passion. Find it, and go for it.


1 comment:

  1. I like this. I may not always post a comment, and I'm just your mom, but I do read all of your blog posts and I watch your videos. I sometimes catch a bit of your Twitch play, and I find it as fun as I did when you were a kid playing video games in the living room. I really do enjoy your Old Geek Young Geek podcasts, too. Whew, you do a lot of things! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete