Friday, April 24, 2015

You Must Gather Your Party Before Venturing Forth (Part 3): Keeping It Classy

Who are you? What do you do? Who do you think you are? Who are you to your friends? Who are you to your family? Who are you to your lover? What brings you joy? These questions are tough, strange, and irresponsibly existential. Yet, these are the questions that we must ask ourselves to find out who we are. We have already asked what it means to be in a party, and why one is in a party. Now we must ask the who.

The thing about RPGs is that there are different classes. It is part of the whole character creation process in video games. Players must assess how they are going to play, and choose a class to become or work to becoming. This is important, as this will be the character that players will be controlling them for a majority, if not all, of the game. After creating a character, you must then compile a party.

One must choose party members that compliment each other. Not telling the other members positive and uplifting things, but rather a set of characters that work well to be the most effective and efficient at removing enemies from ones path. In my game of Dragon Age: Inquisition, the game from which I have drawn the inspiration to ramble on about a basic mechanic of most every other RPG out there, my character is a rogue. I like to sneak about the battlefield and backstab enemies so that I may deal massive amounts of damage. Also in my part is a warrior, another rogue, and a mage. The warrior is the one who draws all the attention of enemies so that I can get behind them and get my backstabs, and my other party members wont get smashed. The role of the warrior is absolutely essential to controlling the battle, if she go down, it's chaos. Meanwhile, I have my other rogue, who specializes as an archer, and my mage. Both of these characters provide long range support. These two hang back and fire barrages of arrows and lighting. By the way, Arrows and Lighting is going to be the name of my band when I learn how to play an instrument. When everyone is outfitted with the best gear and abilities, we roll over any kind of opposition that we face.

When managing your characters in Roll Playing Games, you don't just manage yourself, but the other members of your party as well. It is important to keep them in good health and make sure that they are the best that they can be. You have to manage their weapons, armor, and even skills. Kind of sounds familiar, no? I think that the human thing for us to do with the people who matter most in our lives is that they are the best that they can be. Iron sharpens iron, and one person sharpens another. We want what is best for those in our lives. We may not always know what is best for them, but we still try our best. It hurts to see when those we care about are feeling down. Naturally we do what we can to pick them up.

We may not always be on the same level as them, or understand what they are going through because we don't think or function the same way that they do. Yet, we want to make sure that they are at their best, because you need them just as much as they need you. Or perhaps not, and we are just keeping them around because they are familiar to us. Life is tricky like that sometimes. In video games, you can come across new party members, and easily swap them out for old ones at the word "go", but reality isn't quite as easy. To do such a thing in real life would be cruel, and heartless, even if it is the necessary thing to do so that you can improve. Like I said, life is tricky.

So, we must ask ourselves: who are we? What role do we play? Am I a warrior surrounded by other warriors? Is my team really effective against the dragons in my life? Am I outfitted to be the best that I can be? When was the last time that I leveled up? Am I just grinding, or am I making my way through the main quest, and is my team leading me towards those goals? Video game jargon aside, seriously ask yourself these questions, and find out who you are and who you are to those around you. It could very well change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment